Background

Thursday 31 March 2011

Mixing and Matching...

I find one of those most difficult items of clothing to buy is trousers! It wasn't so long ago that all you could seem to buy were jeans or leggings. I never ever wear jeans as they are so uncomfortable so this meant I had to live in leggings (much to the disapproval of the bf!)

There has been an increase in the styles available especially as 1970's style seems to be in at the moment, so I have come across loads of high waisted wide legs offerings from the usual highs street stores. So far I haven't been brave enough to try them out, I usually stick to slim leg trousers as I am quite petite, my favourites being some black ankle grazers from Springfields, (a shop I recently discovered in my local shopping centre) as casual/work trousers and some black (sort of harem style) pleated front trousers from H! by Henry Holland which look great dressed up as the fabric has a lovely sheen to it.

I decided to have a browse online, (I have given up buying clothes for lent so I am limited to window shopping only) and found a really unusual pair of palazzo style trousers from Dorothy Perkins. I quite like DP's as they often have similar styles to the other Arcadia stores such as Topshop and Miss Selfridge but a little bit cheaper and more wearable. These trousers are described as Nutmeg which I am assuming is a warm brown colour and is a colour I would never normally go for but I was feeling adventurous. I was a bit puzzled as to what would go with them and where exactly you could wear them so I had a bit of a play around.


Dorothy Perkins coral top
18 GBP - dorothyperkins.com
TopShop grey blouse
$45 - topshop.com
River island
40 GBP - riverisland.com
Printed blazer
33 GBP - republic.co.uk
Dorothy Perkins twill pants
22 GBP - dorothyperkins.com
Lace Trim Satchel at A|wear
35 EUR - awear.com
Red Herring cami
8 GBP - debenhams.com
Charlotte Russe wooden heel shoes
$15 - charlotterusse.com
Dorothy Perkins cream flat
16 GBP - dorothyperkins.com
Miss Selfridge ballerina shoes
22 GBP - missselfridge.com
Dorothy Perkins black sandal
27 GBP - dorothyperkins.com
Wristlet handbag
$28 - bakersshoes.com
TopShop oversized hat
$45 - topshop.com


I used the same trousers to create 4 different outfits: for a smart summer office look I combined them with a linen jacket, patent pumps and a stunning satchel bag, for relaxing by the beach a floppy sunny hat, crop top and pretty crochet shoes, a casual weekend outfit with wedges and a floral blazer and I even managed to dress them up with some gorgeous heels and a clutch bag! I made sure that all the items cost less than £50 each, the trousers themselves only cost £22 (reduced from £32!).

So there you have it, one pair of trousers, 4 different uses! Let me know what you think of them and if you would be brave enough to wear the nutmeg palazzo pants...

Alyssa xx

P.S Whilst we're on the subject of mixing and matching check out Mixnmatch's Bargainista blog. A self-confessed bargain hunter!

2 comments:

mixnmatch1 said...

aww thanks for the mention :)

Unknown said...

No problem hun! Did you like my post today? x