Background

Sunday 25 September 2011

Thinking ahead of myself...

Modern Egyptian Living


I mentioned in my previous post that I am in the process of buying a house and thought I would share our story.
This summer Ando and I decided it was time to move out of our parents houses, we had saved up a large deposit and so we started looking. We didn't want to go too far from where we currently live and after looking at various houses around we decided on the area we wanted to be. We then had viewings in all the houses on that estate. The reason we chose the area was because it is near enough for me to walk to my parents house as I don't drive and close to the bus route for work, it also had a really nice quiet feel. All the houses are ex-council so they are spacious and very well built.

The 2nd house we saw there we fell in love with and were planning to put the offer in there and then but they took it off the market after a week and we were a little bit gutted. But we kept looking, there was one house that we kept dismissing when we saw it on the internet as it looked a bit run down and in need of some serious modernisation. Eventually as we had run of of houses to view we went for a look and to our surprise we both fell in love with it.

It is a semi-detached on a sunny South facing corner plot, has a drive and garage and a little garden. It is 3 good sized bedrooms, a 22 foot through lounge and generous kitchen plus side porch and workhouse. There is tonnes of space for us, in fact I believe it is bigger than my parents house! I havn't told you the best part though, it looks out onto a huge park, there is nobody in front of you at all, it feels so light and open.

The downside to the house is that it is a little bit run down as it has been uninhabited for a year and it did belong to an old man so the decor is a little dated but nowhere near as bad as I expected. The main work to be done is outside but when we made our offer we generously allowed for this work. Luckily after a bit of negotiating we got a great deal, knocking nearly 12 grand off the already reduced asking price.

So last week, once the offer was agreed I set about arranging the conveyancing solicitors and looking at mortgage options. Now we just need to take the plunge and put our application in which we need to do as soon as possible to make sure we get this house.

I'm already excited about moving in and knowing that we don't have a huge budget for decoration I have been thinking of ways to work around the current decor including furniture that our parents are passing on to us. My favourite piece being a gorgeous oak coffee table inlaid with an egyptian motif (promise I will get a picture!). The living room carpet which is already there is a plainish dark jade colour so this is what gave me the inspiration for the modern egyptian theme. I already have some other pieces such as lamps etc but this mode board was just to give me an idea.

The colour palette I chose is dark teal, rich cream, dark oak wood plus gold accents. The room is big and light so I can use darker colours without making it look dingy.

What do you think to my first piece of interior inspiration?

Alyssa xx

8 comments:

Mademoiselle Lala said...

I love interior desgin and styling, so I'm major jealous of you! ;) I love the concept, just remember to add maybe few white/bright items, so it doesn't become too dark! X

www.mademoiselle-lala.com

Unknown said...

Yep, the walls are staying white so it shouldn't be too dark!

fayellafairy said...

So excited for you! Congrats on your first home buy!! x

Anonymous said...

Buying a house sounds like such an exciting experience, and decorating it must be so much fun too! <3 I love that piece of inspiration, it's great to find something that you like to work around. Congrats on getting such a great deal on it too! Thanks for sharing! xoxo, Veena <3

http://seven-inch-stilettos.blogspot.com

♥ Sadie ♥ said...

Ooh how exciting, I can't wait to buy my first property, hopefully next year! Best of luck :).

Sadie x

www.brandnewbutterflywings.com

Laura said...

Wow it's so cool you are buying a house!!

http://lovelyprettyworld.blogspot.com/

Mary Poppins said...

Wow!! Sometimes I dream of buying my own little gaff somewhere that I can do up all girly and for me ;)) Good luck with the move :) Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on my crying post, can be a difficult position to be in, and of course sometimes the attention from a stranger may just not be wanted but am glad many of us would hold out a hand :) Hugs xxxx

Bruce said...

Love your post
Eye Makeup Tips